Charlottetown – The Island New Democrats are raising concerns about the continuing lack of environmental leadership on issues affecting Islanders.
“The Ghiz government has shown a lack of leadership on environmental issues that affect Islanders. The lack of leadership on these issues like water quality and supply, fish kills and funding cuts to public transit is hurting Islanders, the environment and the economy,” says Shawn Bowman, Provincial Secretary of the NDP PEI.
Mr. Bowman pointed to a number of issues where leadership has been lacking that include:
- More frequent and more damaging fish kills to Island rivers and waterways;
- High profile enforcement issues for buffer zone laws;
- Water usage levels and water supply in Charlottetown along with damage to the Winter River watershed;
- Listening to environmental concerns from the public about the Plan B highway project;
- Funding cuts to public transit;
- Recommendations of two government initiated Commission reports- Thompson report on Land and Local Governace and the DesRoches report on Nitrtaes in Groundwater.
The Island New Democrats are concerned about these issues because the quality of the environment has health and economic impacts for Islanders. The Island New Democrats are calling for stronger leadership to address these issues so the long term health and economic costs to Islanders and primary industries can be reduced.
“The Premier and the Environment minister have been sleepwalking on these issues for too long. Appointing a committee every couple of years to make a report that will be ignored isn’t a real response. Islanders want to see some positive actions happening that will make a real difference and the Island New Democrats support that,” said Mr. Bowman.
For more information, contact Shawn Bowman